Monday, March 12, 2007

A House on Fire.

I remember writing an essay on the topic "A house on Fire" during my schools days. At that time I had taken the help of essay books and my brother to write the essay. And hence I was not able to realize how panicky the actual situation might be. But after witnessing such a situation personally I have realized what panic and urgency prevails in the air when A house is on Fire.


I had just put off the unpleasant alarm which reminded me of the last one hour association that was remaining between me and my bed and slipped under the blanket to cherish it. But the cozy feeling that I was enjoying ended with yet another alarm which wasn’t set by me. It was the alarm raised by my neighbors as the house just besides my house was on Fire. I ran towards the front door of my house and witnessed that panicky situation with my blurred eyes and was shocked out of my sleep. Flames were coming out of one of the rooms and dark smoke of burning plastic had obstructed the view from the front door of the house. I wore my floaters at once and ran towards the house on fire to help in whichever way I could to bring the situation under control.


The situation was filled with utter confusion as initially nobody had any clue of what had caused the fire. Everybody was shouting for help and some solution. The aunty finally remembered that she had placed the heating rod on the table, instead of the water filled bucket. Somebody ran towards the main power switch to put it off and instructed other person to break the glasses of the window so that water can be poured into the room. I ran to get the drum filled with water near the window. Though I was doing the right thing but the inertia in my mind had not permitted me to believe the fired situation. After getting the drum near the window few of us started splashing water inside the room that had caught fire. I ran towards the front door to prevent them from entering the house as the smoke was really choking. After an hour of hard work the flames were doused into smoke but still the room was un-enterable because of choking smoke.


There was a lot of material loss but at the end of it everybody breathed a sigh of relief as nobody was hurt. Somebody might think that the title of the blog is a kind of Hyperbole, but then I am really happy about the contrast in the title and the explanation. Even though the fire had not assumed a proportion large enough for the blog to qualify for such a title it was quite moving


Blog Migrated from RediffIland..(2ndMar07)

No comments: